With almost 10 years of working experience, I played several roles as a software engineer. And I am currently CTO of a video game company. Thinking back about my time at university, there are tons of subjects I wish I had been taught properly. Here is my list...
Time and task management ⏲️
- Partitioning time (ex Pomodoro)
- Avoid distractions, getting into the flow state
- Inbox Zero
- Hardware: computers, input devices, and network devices
- Tools to increase productivity, shortcuts
- Shell: bash, zsh, vi, or others
- Mastering IDE
- Test framework and test automation
- IT: resources inventory, resources management
- With your technical colleagues
- With your non-technical colleagues
- With clients and customers: be confident and assertive
- Marketing: Self and Company promotion
Project Management 💼
- Agile: Scrum, Kanban
- Stories, task definition
- Task estimation
- TDD, DDD
- Performance monitoring
Leading / Mentoring 🦸
- Onboarding people
- Mentoring people
- Code reviews
- Peer reviews, Pair programming
- Feedback and Performance reviews
- Career management, coaching
- Personalized communication based on DISC assessment or others
- Objectives definition: OKR, KPI, SMART, etc.
Budget Management 💰
- Definition of budget
- Expenses monitoring
- Corporate governance and the basics of corporate law
- Business development
- Business plan
- Business monitoring
Do you agree? Share your comments below. I also invite you to make your list and share it as well.
Did you find this article valuable?
Support Sonny Alves Dias by becoming a sponsor. Any amount is appreciated!